Welcome to Kira's Blog

Welcome to My Blog

Life with young children can be challenging, but with the support and advice of friends, we can feel empowered and thankful for the blessing of being a Mom.

My musings are those of a self-proclaimed attachment-parenting Tiger mom, who juggles full-time mommying with a small (but growing!) baby-related business. I hope some of my thoughts help you
Enjoy your day, Enjoy your night, and Enjoy your kids!!!

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Bottle Blessings

I'm really into breastfeeding. In fact, I'm probably one of those moms who inadvertently makes non-breastfeeders feel inferior. It's not intentional, and at least I'm somewhat aware of it - that I'm just really into breastfeeding.

And yet, as I embark on my journey with child #4, I must admit that breastfeeding-only moms are at a clear disadvantage in one very important way: bottle is a quicker, more efficient feed and leads to a sleepier baby! See, in my experience, it takes much less time to pump 4 oz. of milk than to feed the same amount, and then baby works significantly less hard to get those same 4 oz. from a bottle than directly from the breast. My baby is clearly more satiated after a bottle-feeding than any breastfeeding and dozes off like an angel and stays asleep!

I had heard that formula-fed babies sleep better than breastfed babies, but I believe it's not about the formula, it's about the bottle!

So, for those who are experiencing babies who seem to waken every hour or so for a feeding during the night, you may want to experiment with pumping your milk and giving via bottle - to give yourself a well-deserved break. I know that it's a risky business meddling with the supply-demand cycle of mom and baby, but for those who are just that tired, I'm pretty sure one (or even more!) feeding won't make that much of a difference... but that extra hour of sleep will!

No comments:

Post a Comment