Welcome to Kira's Blog

Welcome to My Blog

Life with young children can be challenging, but with the support and advice of friends, we can feel empowered and thankful for the blessing of being a Mom.

My musings are those of a self-proclaimed attachment-parenting Tiger mom, who juggles full-time mommying with a small (but growing!) baby-related business. I hope some of my thoughts help you
Enjoy your day, Enjoy your night, and Enjoy your kids!!!

Friday, August 6, 2010

Get Out!

Some of us are more social than others. It's a fact. Some thrive on friendships, chit-chatting, and cooperative learning/building. Others feel energized after a bath, reading a book, or spending time alone with a hobby or craft.

I'm a natural extrovert, but I became surprisingly home-focused when I started having children. My husband and I spent 6 months living in a city, and I can count on one hand how many times I left the house during the day to explore and enjoy. At first, I was struck with some identity-crisis and wondered if something was wrong with me. But pregnancy and child-rearing can bring new, different sides of us to light, and we can and should embrace that.

There is one caveat to enjoying time at home: we all need support. When my new baby arrived, it became extra-challenging to leave the house. I was exhausted and at a loss for where to go and what to do with her. This was especially true since she was a winter-baby, and I was nervous bringing her out in the cold. There was one place I brought her - a breastfeeding support group at the hospital where she was born. There, I met some other moms and nurses who helped guide me to more effective breastfeeding and general parenting of a newborn.

I have since reflected on the first year with my daughter and realize that I really should have pushed myself to get out more often and to more places. She was a very challenging infant, and I really needed more support and advice from seasoned and sensitive fellow-mommies.

There are lots of resources in every locale for moms new and old to meet up and share wisdom. It's wise to find these resources before you even have your baby, but it's never too late. There are groups of all sorts, to suit all kinds of mommies and babies. Do your homework and get out! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment