Welcome to Kira's Blog

Welcome to My Blog

Life with young children can be challenging, but with the support and advice of friends, we can feel empowered and thankful for the blessing of being a Mom.

My musings are those of a self-proclaimed attachment-parenting Tiger mom, who juggles full-time mommying with a small (but growing!) baby-related business. I hope some of my thoughts help you
Enjoy your day, Enjoy your night, and Enjoy your kids!!!

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Newborn Ramblings #1

A close friend and cousin is expecting her first baby and I sent her some thoughts to ponder as she nears her due date. I figured I'd share on my blog, as well :)

Here goes:
-breastfeeding is wonderful AND very challenging in the beginning. with help from a lactation consultant, you can get past most setbacks (there can be many). it also can be boring. keep your phone at your side so you can chat with friends while you nurse or keep your laptop near to watch some online tv. Don't be surprised if nursing is every 45 min. and lasts for 2-3 hours. the beginning is rough, but it'll get easier... trust me.
-Also on breastfeeding: nobody warned me that it brings on intense FATIGUE. Don't be surprised if you suddenly realize you dozed off while feeding, even sitting up!
-life with a baby is a different reality. keep to-do's at a minimum and let your doula take care of you.
-diapers aren't so stinky in the beginning - it can take awhile to get used to the smell of infant poop, so make sure you check often.
-do you know about baby-leg-crunches for gas? make sure your doula does!
-if your baby doesn't take a pacifier, or if one's not handy, you can use your pinky finger. keep it clean :)
-your baby will recognize your scent - don't be surprised if he cries until YOU hold him, and won't go to the doula as planned... it's the mixed blessing of mothering an infant. My baby sometimes screams the whole time I take a shower, because it's somebody else holding him (even in the first weeks!). it's ok. take your shower and just know that it's normal. you'll be amazed how quickly he'll calm down when you take him back into your arms!

No comments:

Post a Comment